Monday 1 March 2010

Newman Passage W1

With a name that never fails to raise a snigger (as does Percy Passage nearby), Newman Passage is one of those cute hidden shortcuts that you only know if you either live or work locally.  For those in the know, it is a really handy way to cut through to Charlotte Street if you are coming from the western end of Oxford Street.  I also take it by choice, just because I get a kick out of walking down cobbled alleys, passages if you will...snigger.  Anyway - double entendres aside Newman Passage reminds me of Dickensian London plus a touch of Jack the Ripper when you find yourself alone there after dark (snigger).  It also has the benefit of having the Newman Arms upstairs Pie Room at one end of it - which is the perfect place to chase away the winter blues with a hearty pie and a pint of something.  This also used to be the site of the London College of Massage where you could get a cheap massage (snigger) but one day they just weren't there anymore - in fact if anyone knows where they moved to please let me know because I can't find them online and I miss those cheap massages (snigger...snort...).  Newman Passage also reminds me of my friend Matt who had to get a photo done for an article that someone was writing about him so asked me to be photographer for the day.  We chose Newman Passage for the shots and used his Lomo camera.  I totally got into the David Hemmings Blow Up vibe and the photos actually turned out OK.   Sniggers aside, I imagine all sorts of mischief has gone on here - particularly when Fitzrovia was populated by anarchists and drunks.  So next time you're wandering aimlessly around this area take a stroll down Newman Passage and when you emerge into Newman Street take a sharp left and proceed directly to Lantana for brilliant coffee, fantastic cakes and London's best breakfast.

7 comments:

  1. Thats a shame about the massages - I used to pop in there from time to time too (albeit a couple of years ago now)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they've just moved - I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pie pub, haven't been for years though. So perfect for a winter's day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know that's my favourite passage! That I even have one is frightening, though justified in this case I think. I still love those photos you took, moody and lovely. Black & white is perfect for parts of London like this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did know your London passages Matt! Glad you still have the snaps - that was a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looked up newman passage [snigger] after seeing it in the open of michael powell's brilliant bit o' cinema, "peeping tom", ca 1960. still looks the same. i'm an anglophiliac from l.a. and don't know the 'hoods of london all that well, but take it that fitzrovia has a somewhat unsavory past, yes?
    p.s. your blog rocketh much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the kind words Barry. I am going to seek out "Peeping Tom" ASAP - the BFI shop has all sorts of classic 60s Brit flicks. Fitzrovia has a very colourful past - if you can get your hands on it there is a great book called "Characters of Fitzrovia" that tracks the various reprobates that have lived there over the years. Charlotte St, at the heart of it is now super trendy but still retains some of the "old Fitzrovia" feel, particularly at pubs like the Fitzroy. I love this area - would be interested in your thoughts when you make it there!

    ReplyDelete