Saturday 12 June 2010

Whoopie Pies!


So - apparently whoopie pies are the new "it" cake in London, unseating cupcakes, eclairs and macaroons for this title.  Well - I'm not convinced.  I bought two today at Barnes Farmers Market from a very nice woman selling delicious looking cakes (their brownies looked amazing) - one vanilla and one chocolate with some sort of berry cream filling.  I was quite excited to taste them and even though the photo above looks a bit unappetising, these seemed like fine specimens.  Maybe my expectations were too high because I can sum up my reaction to my first whoopie pie as...underwhelmed.  It's not that they tasted bad...in fact they pretty much tasted like eating pure sugar (which is not a bad thing sometimes) - it was just they didn't taste amazing and to be crowned as the pastry of the moment you need to taste amazing.  So give me a red velvet cupcake or a piece of carrot cake or a blondie from Bea's of Bloomsbury any day!

4 comments:

  1. I agree!!! Whoopie pies taste like arse albeit sugar-coated arse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if I would go that far - but I know where you're coming from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate it when something that looks good turns out bad, although I can't say I find them too appetizing myself in the photograph. There's got to be some reason why they are the new trend...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am underwhelmed by whoopie pies in the main. When I was in New York I travelled out to some godforsaken industrial area to try some famed whoopie pie from a place called Baked, and then I ate it and was like, meh. However, I did have a salted caramel whoopie pie from KookyBakes the other day which was delicious. I don't think it will manage to oust cupcake from being the trendleader at the moment still.

    ReplyDelete