Friday 9 July 2010

J. Sheekey WC2

I had wanted to go to J. Sheekey for ages. Whilst the press focusses on their celeb clientele, I had always heard that the food was amazing.  Well today, I realised my long-held ambition to go there and I can confirm the food is amazing. There was a slight wobble at the beginning as the waiter misheard my order for "beets" as "bisque" - however they were very apologetic and offered to swap. I chose to stay with the soup and it was lovely. For main course I had fillets of red mullet with a fried courgette flower and broad bean and plum tomato salsa. Oh man - it was goooooood. The red mullet was divine and the salsa was a perfect accompaniment.  The courgette flower, whilst tasty (in a fried food sort of way), was kinda redundant compared to the rest of the loveliness on the plate.  I could eat this dish every day, it was perfect.  I washed it down with a chilled glass of Stellenbosch Chardonnay (my other half is South African so I have learnt to love the Western Cape wines).  Given J. Sheekey is a sister restaurant of The Ivy, that restaurant's famous dessert of iced berries with hot white chocolate sauce was on the menu, so it seemed rude not to have it.  For those of you that have had this dish will agree with me I'm sure that it is dessert perfection.  J. Sheekey is a really lovely restaurant - both the food and the setting (I am a sucker for wood panelling) so all I can say is, save your pennies and just go.

J Sheekey on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment