Sunday 4 July 2010

Serpentine Gallery - Kensington Gardens W2


How cool is the Serpentine Gallery?  Such a great building, hidden away in beautiful Kensington Gardens, so in some ways ultra trad but then exhibiting the cutting edge in modern art and with an annual temporary pavilion built by a leading architect or designer (this year's is designed by Jean Nouvel).  The perfect mix really.  I recently saw the Wolfgang Tillmans exhibition, which was fantastic (I am a fan though - I know his work divides opinion).  Years ago I went to one of their swanky Summer parties (as a plus one mind you) and whenever I go back I remember my friend Sam and I getting drunk and leering at YBAs.  So make sure you go and visit - admission is free (I love that about London's galleries and museums) and they are open late on Friday nights during Summer.

2 comments:

  1. And the pavilion when that is put up each year!

    PS you are very right about Wandsworth roundabout in your other post. Perverse but brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They should put a plaque up to that effect in the middle of the roundabout - "Peverse but Brilliant". Love it.

    ReplyDelete