Thursday 30 December 2010

Department of Coffee & Social Affairs - EC1

Leather Lane in EC1 is a funny one - I have always liked it but have never really had either a food or coffee reason to go there, traditionally the cafes have been more of the greasy spoon variety.  Years ago I also used to like going to a bar called Clerkenwell House on Hatton Wall, just off Leather Lane.  Anyway I digress - the good news is that there is now a top notch coffee destination on Leather Lane, specifically the wonderfully named Department of Coffee and Social Affairs at No. 14-16 (which is the High Holborn end).  It has only been open for 2 weeks and was pretty empty when I went there today (mainly because we are in the "in between" week when most people are still on hols) but I predict this place will be heaving in the new year once the coffee-starved locals catch on.  Up until now you would have had to walk 10 to 15 mins to either The Espresso Room or Dose to get your quality coffee fix but now those lucky EC1 workers and residents have their own local gem.  I was served by a friendly bearded Kiwi (I feel like David Attenborough, investigating the barista species in their natural habitat) and was presented with a really great flat white and a pain au chocolat.  These guys will have a broader selection of sandwiches and breakfast stuff in the new year so make sure to go and check them out - a welcome addition to my Central London Coffee Survival Guide Map.

Department of Coffee and Social Affairs on Urbanspoon

6 comments:

  1. Rob, do you have the London Coffee App? http://www.londonsbestcoffee.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the name of this place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it great? This place is a definite winner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool name but I reckon it has a bit of a Stasi ring to it! Nevertheless I'm looking forward to sampling their wares.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love an Eastern bloc vibe...

    ReplyDelete