Tuesday 8 February 2011

Terroirs - William IV St WC2

As often happens (at least in terms of blogging about London restaurants) I am kinda late to the party - if you want the latest news and top notch reviews of where to eat well in this town then you should visit the excellent Greedy Diva or Gourmet Chick.  Having said that, my raison d'etre is to share with you the places in this town that I love - food, coffee, architecture, neighbourhoods, whatever really and with that in mind I just had to write about the wonderful, wonderful Terroirs.  Opened around 2 years ago, Terroirs is positioned as a wine bar with food and the wine list is certainly top notch (note picture of delicious Burgundy...) but the food was the highlight for me.  We sat upstairs where the modus operandi is small sharing plates - predominately French in nature but with other Mediterranean influences, including a plate of amazing Jamon de Teruel (from the charcuterie selection) which melted in the mouth.  The pork and pistachio terrrine was my highlight - meaty, vinegary and rich, I could have eaten two!  Other dishes included Potted Shrimps on Toast (amazing), a selection of three wonderful cheeses (including the creamiest goat's cheese I have had in a long time) and another highlight - Cantabrian Anchovies with finely sliced shallots, rustic bread and unsalted butter.  We shared two puddings and one of them was the only bum note for me - the floating island of panacotta, rhubarb and pistachio.  The other one was a perfect end to the meal though -  a wonderfully bitter dark chocolate pot.  We had a great bottle of red from the Languedoc and stumbled out of there with grins on our faces that can only come when all the elements align - food, place, wine and of course company.  A winner people, a winner.

Terroirs on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. I agree - this place is brilliant!! Have you been to Brawn in Columbia Road yet? Waiting for the blog post if so!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi KiwiKat - I have not been to Brawn but plan to soon. Did you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not heard of Terroirs before but it sounds like my kind of place. That's the thing about restaurants in London, you think you've seen it all but there's always somewhere else to visit which is what's so great about London. I cannot wait to get my hands on some pork and pistachio terrrine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Timothy - it's a winner (the place and the terrine). Get yourself there!

    ReplyDelete