Monday 7 March 2011

Curzon Soho - Shaftesbury Ave W1

I have considered (and may still do) a post on the great small cinemas of London - obviously including The Ritzy, The Renoir, The Electric and others - but if I had to name a favourite it would be the Curzon Soho on Shaftesbury Avenue.  I think it's partly to do with the great films I have seen there (including "Howl" on the weekend) but it's also to do with the cool little Konditor & Cook cafe on the ground floor, the equally cool bar downstairs, even the movie posters in the toilets.  Every now and again I like going to a big fuck-off Multiplex, buying a giant sized bag of pick 'n mix and a bucket of Coke (the drink) and watching some Harry Potter-esque blockbuster but the majority of the time I want to watch a cool movie in a funky little cinema, surrounded by true cinephiles, buzzing on good espresso and nibbling on wasabi peas and I can't think of any better place to do it than the Curzon Soho.

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this one. I love this cinema also and have had many a happy, boozy post film session in the bar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha - are you that drunk girl that's always slumped in the bar?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try its Curzon sister in Mayfair...it's like a lovely calm cave. Hands down my favourite cinema in the city (Got to love a place where they let you take a bottle of wine in...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that Curzon also - feels very civilised!

    ReplyDelete